Friday 19 May 2017

Green Screen Adventure: Part 1

Hi guys! Welcome back for another blog post!

So, this week I've been working on a Green Screen project. This was my first time working with a green screen, and I wasn't sure what to expect. When I was first approached for the project, I was a little intimidated by the idea. However, I embraced it as a valuable opportunity to expand my skill set, and promptly started researching it. The Internet gave me the how to's and showed how easy it would be to do. My mind was put at ease, my client was happy, and I was happy. I happened to have a green tarp that was still in the package, so I opted to use that. Again, the Internet told me that would work, and it would be easy.

I set up the screen, set up my lights, got my talent into the studio and recorded. Everyone was happy.

Then I fired up my trusty Lightworks and actually tried to do the edit. I was not so happy. I was able to apply the green screen effect, but I just could not get it cleaned up.

I decided to try different backdrops. I tried a green sheet, and I tried a light blue sheet. Both came out looking virtually identical to each other, and rather grey. And neither cleaned up very nice. I changed the lighting so the sheet was better lit, and that improved things, but still wasn't great. Next, I tried a navy blue sheet, and that worked so much better! But... I still had to key it twice, and it resulted in an outline around my talent. I added lighting to eliminate the outline, but that caused too much variance in the colour, so I took it back out. I settled that the navy was best, made sure the sheet was as wrinkle free as possible, and the lighting was even. I was satisfied I had a very good screen. Unfortunately, after all of this, I attempted to chroma key the footage from this screen, and... disaster! The screen was now dark enough that I was chroma keying out shadows in the hair, and the pupils of the eye! I decided it was time for a real green screen.

I'll see how it turns out this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment